Sunday, December 27, 2009

Looking for opinions...

Hey All! I know it's been awhile since I last posted, and I do have posts that should be up but are currently without pictures so I've been waiting/procrastinating... you decide:) Today I am questioning the true intentions of people and am looking for opinions.
I'm going to change the names of the people in this story as to not harm anyone I care about (no it's not me &/or Brett!)... and so the story goes...
Michael & Mindy are a couple who have known each other for about a year. They met on a dating website, decided to fill the 2,000+ mile gap and meet for a two week visit. Two weeks turned into 8 months. Christmas rolled around, everything seemed to be going exactly as planned, so Michael proposed to Mindy! She said yes, how exciting!
A little background...
Michael works long, hard hours from late spring to late fall. In the winter he works regular hours. He's never been married, has no kids. Just a bachelor with a couple of dogs.
Mindy was married briefly, has a 3 year old little girl & is currently taking online classes to obtain a degree. She moved thousands of miles to make the relationship work.
Together they have been raising the child. They've had to move recently, in less than desirable weather conditions. They are not a wealthy couple as he is the only working adult while she attends school. They've had typical fights that those in relationships do.
So back to the proposal. It was less than romantic, but it was sincere. She said yes, as I said before, but did not wear the ring that Christmas day. She called her mother, decided to wear the ring but appeared less than enthused. The next few days were quiet. She seemed depressed and he was unsure why. When he finally asked, she proceeded to tell him that the ring was not what she expected. She wanted a square diamond, at least one karat and did not want to be proposed to on Christmas day.
So my question is: Is the ring that important? Does the ring make the relationship? Thoughts & comments would be much appreciated.
PS They are no longer engaged a few days later.

3 comments:

lucinda! said...

that is pure craziness. the woman sounds ungreatful. he chose HER out of all people to marry,to spend the rest of his life with and thats the response he gets. that hurts. wow.

Kaitlyn said...

Okay, no...the ring isn't important perse...but the guy usually tries to find out a little bit of what you want, pre-purchasing...Right? I mean, what a brat though...not even wearing it. If you love someone, you love everything they give you. Also, who cares when you want (or in this case...don't want) to get proposed to...? It's up to the guy to make it special and surprising. I have more thoughts on this...but...I won't go on. ;) Haha. What do you think Chayna?

Anonymous said...

I got the perfect ring for my first marriage, the one I had wanted since before I ever considered marriage, but the guy turned out to be nothing like I expected. When I got married for the second time, the guy was perfect. We couldn't afford an expensive ring, and I had already the perfect ring with an imperfect marriage, so I say, the ring doesn't matter...it's the thought that counts and the guy that matters!