Saturday, June 26, 2010

Tuesday: The day before the fun ends

Alas it was the day before the fun ended, Tuesday. We actually had intended to go to the Getty Center, but I felt like my mom needed to rest at least one day of her trip otherwise she'd be exhausted when she got home. So instead, I woke her up early and took her on a hike with my friend Samantha. This hike is pretty intense for the first half, and by pretty intense I mean straight up. It took many, many grueling times before I could make it to the top without panting and stopping one hundred times to 'take it in.' I am very proud to say that my mom made it all the way up (& down) with no major accidents or injuries and no complaining! She was a champ! I'm not sure if she still loved me afterwards, but I have a feeling she does.

We really did nothing on Tuesday. We went to Target to get her photos developed. We went to a few stores because I've been searching for a smaller outdoor grill and a small high-top patio set so that I can enjoy some sun... but no such luck. Mom did some laundry.... yawn.

We went out for one last dinner, to Wokano, where Samantha works. I tried really hard to get my mom to try "just one bite" of sushi, I even purposely ordered a Philadelphia roll with cream cheese, but nada. She wouldn't try it. Do you know how many things I had to try as a kid? Without the option of saying no? Apparently there is no such thing as role reversal. So my mom enjoyed her cooked chicken & shrimp, while Brett and I devoured raw fish. YUM! I tell you what, I'm getting really good at eating sushi. I just have this feeling that I'm going to only crave sushi when I'm pregnant.

We headed back home for one more night. Brett gave Mom the bed and we spent our last night watching TV in bed. The next morning we went to Portos for a yummy breakfast and then off to the Burbank airport. It's always sad to see my mom go, this time especially because I don't have any set date to see her again. Usually I'm planning a trip home, but this year we have to head back for a wedding in July that doesn't involve Iowa. I'm sure we'll get home over some holiday this winter, but it's just a little odd not knowing. I'm so glad she got to come out for a whole week! I had a blast and will cherish these memories forever!

I wish that I could say my mom had a safe flight home and had one day to relax before she headed back to work, but that's not exactly how the story goes. She tends to have terrible luck with flights & layovers. Well, this trip was no different. She left Burbank, headed towards Dallas, knowing she had a four hour layover. Well, they changed the gate five times and then pushed the flight time back, a few times and then finally decided to cancel the flight. The next flight to Des Moines would be Friday (two days later). Luckily, someone was looking out for my mom that day. A couple from our hometown (who we know quite well) were in the same situation! The airline put them up in a hotel for the night and paid for dinner & breakfast. They ended up catching a flight the next morning (which was delayed, shocker!) to Kansas City, rented a car, drove to Des Moines and then drove home from there. I'm sure she's exhausted. Oh, and without luggage of course! I have a funny feeling that American Airlines will be getting an earful in the near future. Maybe she'll get a comped flight and can visit again sooner than expected!!!

1 comment:

Kaitlyn said...

glad you had fun! miss you! :)