Saturday, December 22, 2012

34 weeks

34 weeks & some serious growing

HOW FAR ALONG?: 34 weeks, SIX more to go!?!? Can that possibly be right? 

TOTAL WEIGHT GAIN?: I just got off the scale and I've gained 22.5 pounds, trying to stay on track but it's pretty difficult with the holidays among us and our generous patient/patient's families. I have an very hard time saying 'no' to sweets :/ 

MATERNITY CLOTHES: Well... they are pretty snug. Yesterday I opted for sweats and a t-shirt and there seemed to be a gap between the two... time for Brett's t-shirts?

SLEEP?: I still feel rested and like I'm getting enough sleep, but the tossing/turning has definitely begun. I feel like every hour I'm shifting, which is no easy task!

BEST MOMENT/S THIS WEEK?: We got to see our little pumpkin on ultrasound last week. We hadn't initially planned on going in for this appointment (it's through the perinatologist and is optional) because everything has been going very smoothly and we didn't feel like we needed to spend the extra money on it. Our doctor had given us a prescription for it awhile back just in case we decided to go. So why did we go? Remember my "worst moment" last week, I said it was a phone call I had gotten from my mom? Well, she had two bad dreams back to back and really felt strongly that we needed to get an ultrasound. For a lot of people that may sound crazy, especially since I'm in the medical field and hadn't experienced anything out of the ordinary, but my mom has had premonitions in the past that have really altered our lives forever and not in a good way. So I immediately called and set up an appointment for the next day and was so relieved/elated that everything looks good! 

WORST MOMENT THIS WEEK?:  While at the perinatologist, she kept asking me if I had passed my glucose test (really, like 3 times!), which I did. I guess baby girl is growing like a weed and her average measurements landed her at a weight of around 5 pounds 4 ounces to 5 pounds 9 ounces and I still have a few weeks to go - sixish, which means if she gains 0.5 pounds per week that's another 3 pounds. She got me all freaked out and said I have to cut back/out carbs or my baby will be huge and if she gets to be around 9 pounds, I'll have to be induced. So I did some research and thought about cutting carbs, but that just seems to be impossible. I've learned I LOVE carbs and I could never do even a low-carb diet. Also, through my research, I found that it's really unhealthy for pregnant women to go low/no carb in this stage in the game and has the potential to cause brain damage. So I think I'll opt for the chubby baby with a brain vs. the tiny baby with brain damage. AND... I was 8 pounds 6 ounces, Brett was 8 pounds 8 ounces so I'm expecting an 8 pound baby - when was that considered huge? Sounds healthy to me!  This is just one of the many reasons we didn't want to go back to this particular perinatologist, she's very hot/cold and I'm not a big fan of her bedside manner. SO THERE!

MISS ANYTHING?:  I missed carbs for about six hours when I decided, screw it, there's nothing to eat without them! :)

MOVEMENT?: Veda has been moving, and she's got herself into what must be a pretty comfy position. She's head down and ready to come out, which puts her little booty up into my right rib cage - so that's fun! All of her punches and kicks are now on my left side and not as strong since she's just so gigantic she probably can't move. Whatever doc. 

FOOD CRAVINGS?:   Take a guess... yep, carbs!

LABOR SIGNS?: Not yet... no Braxton HIcks either. 

SYMPTOMS / MOODS?: Everything that I've mentioned in the past, plus I cried my eyes out when my mom called me to tell me to get an ultrasound - mostly out of fear of the unknown. Other than that I haven't had many overly emotional bursts. Also, last night we went to a movie and I don't know if it was the seats or what, but I was having some lower back spasms. My husband was so sweet and let me borrow his arm for a majority of the movie to keep me sitting upright - poor guy, his arm was so uncomfortable and mostly numb, thank you honeybear!

BELLY BUTTON IN or OUT?: Not out, but mostly flat.

WEDDING RINGS OFF or ON?: They are still on but I do have some hand swelling at times which makes them pretty snug. I do have an additional plain white-gold band that I wear to work that's a bit bigger, so I may be wearing that all the time soon. 

LOOKING FORWARD TO...?  Honestly, maternity leave! I do love my job and my coworkers have gone above and beyond to accommodate me, but my job is mentally, physically and emotionally draining at times and it's getting harder every day. My belly seems to get in the way of some of my tasks nowadays, but I'm still aiming to work for 4 more weeks. I hope I can do it!

No comments: