Saturday, December 29, 2012

Bedrest

Oh yes, the time has apparently come for my doctor to put me on bedrest. How did this happen when it's been such smooth sailing for last 35 weeks?! 
Well, yesterday I had an appointment with my OBGYN after work, just my routine check up. I let him know that baby girl hasn't been moving as much as normal, which has been going on for a couple of weeks now. They hooked me up to a monitor to measure both her heart rate and to see if I was having any contractions. I was not having any contractions, and her heart rate was strong and steady around 120-130 beats per minute. However, he thought he saw a couple of times where her rate dipped down. My five minute appointment quickly turned into an hour (+). Brett ran to the pharmacy to get me some orange juice and crackers to try to wake our sleepy peanut, but she just wasn't really moving. My doctor decided I should go home and sleep and come back in the afternoon. 
So yesterday afternoon we found ourselves back in the office, connected to the monitor. Again, strong/steady heart rate with the exception of one dip and not much movement. I started getting nervous real fast and won myself an order for bedrest and a trip to the hospital. After an ultrasound (in office), our doctor said she looks good and healthy, her cord is not around her neck and she's a great size. If need be, he would take her this weekend via c-section - which is not at all what I wanted to hear. 
That's not part of my birth plan! I'm supposed to work for three more weeks and then naturally go into labor and deliver a chubby little nugget! However, it's not the worst possible outcome, so I need to learn to let go of controlling every situation and do what's best for me and my baby. 
From here, we went over to the hospital, where their monitors are a little better and did a non-stress test (more of the same, watching baby's heart rate and checking for contractions). I was hooked up for an hour and everything appeared to be ok - steady heart rate with no dips and also no contractions. The doctor was notified and I was scheduled for another appointment the next day (today) to check just one more time. He assured me that everything was fine, he just wants to take precaution. 
This morning we headed back to the hospital and did another non-stress test. I had a good breakfast to see if I could get her to move around a bit, but she just doesn't really want to dance for me anymore. I really just think she's run out of room to move much, because again, her heart rate was steady and strong with no dips. I did have a few contractions, which I didn't know they were contractions... I've been feeling those for awhile now. 
We have another appointment Monday morning and will likely be going at least once a week for the rest of my pregnancy, which is hopefully another 4 weeks or so. 
I guess I've over done it by working too much. The doc says its normal for people to quit working at 36 weeks and most of those people have desk jobs, not 12 hour nursing jobs that require them to be on their feet and moving and under stressful situations. I did work an extra shift last week because I was feeling so good. I guess I don't know when enough is enough... or maybe I just want to be distracted so that I'm not sitting at home worrying about everything that's about to come. 
I'm not real excited about the thought of bedrest for the next few weeks because I'm not really that good at just sitting around. I have a laundry list of things to do, but I know they aren't things that need to be done right now. I'm sure I'll be packing on another 20 pounds in the next few week (God I hope not!). I can feel boredom setting in already... 
Say a prayer or send some good thoughts for us that we can keep Miss Veda in mommy's tummy for a few more weeks until she's fully cooked!

No comments: